Think Like A Free Agent is the very first lesson in my free ecourse, "How To Become The MVP In Your Profession". It was based on the concepts Dan Pink taught in his book, "Free Agent Nation".
Free agent thinking is about thinking of yourself as a business, even if you work for another company. It's about building your personal brand, and creating your unique identity in whatever work you choose.
A couple of days ago Donald Latumanhina, from the Life Optimizer blog, posted and excellent article called, "How To Make Yourself Your Own Company". Briefly, his 10 key points are:
- Think of your employer as your customer
- Take responsibility
- Find your core competences
- Outsource things outside your core competences
- Find your mission
- Create your one-liner
- Build your personal brand
- Diversify your customer base
- Plan your moves
- Record your financial activities
All of it is excellent advice! Go read more about what Donald has to say here.